EDUCATION & TRAINING
ARISE Virtual Teaching Programme
Due to the global COVID-19 pandemic, all our planned staff exchanges have been put on hold. As a project we have put in place a CPD accredited ARISE virtual teaching programme in order to continue face to face teaching. The programme comprises of 8 themes, each of which have lectures designed to relate to the programme work packages. For each lecture CPD points are awarded.
Throughout this pandemic we are still working towards enhancing the skills of all researchers involved in the project, as we continue to share our own learning achievements, educational resources and provide online courses.
We have been privileged to have a range of speakers from across the globe deliver a variety of topics to our exchange researchers who have joined from Kenya, Nigeria, Lebanon as well as the EU, USA & Tanzania. Our virtual teaching programme will continue to act as an interim measure to support our objectives and enhance learning outcomes.
The Agenda of the Virtual Teaching Programme 2021 is now available.
Here following you can find the forthcoming lectures and the links to the registration form.
- Drug therapies in Sickle Cell Disease by B. Inusa – Lecture postponed, date to be confirmed. More details available soon
- February 10, 2021 (13:00 – 15:00 UK time) – Recent Diagnostic Advances in Newborn Screening by W. Atoyebi, J. Elion and N. Anyanwu – Lecture outline
- February 24, 2021 (13:00 – 15:00 UK time) – Project Management by F. Bonifazi – Lecture postponed, date to be confirmed. More details available soon
- March 10, 2021 (13:00 – 15:00 UK time) – Designing a research study by S. Scott – REGISTER HERE
- March 24, 2021 (13:00 – 15:00 UK time) – Stroke screening and Transcranial Doppler (TSD) in SCD by F. Kirkham – More details available soon
- April 21, 2021 (13:00 – 15:00 UK time) – Designinig a population screening project by F. Piel – More details available soon
- May 5, 2021 (13:00 – 15:00 UK time) – Spleen rate indications for Malaria and SCD: role of HbF in SC presentation by A. Adekile – More details available soon
- May 19, 2021 (13:00 – 15:00 UK time) – Transition models in SCD by M. De Montalembert – More details available soon
The full teaching programme held in 2020 is available here. You can find more details about the lectures material here below.
Treatment of Sickle Cell Disease
- B. Inusa – Introduction to haemoglobinopathies: part 1, part 2 (lecture recording)
- R. Colombatti – Paediatric problems in Sickle Cell Disease (lecture recording)
- A. Campbell – Global pain burden (lecture recording)
- K. Anie – Management of SCD (lecture recording)
- F. French – Sickle Cell management in A&E (lecture recording)
- B. Inusa – Antibiotic prophilaxys in Sickle Cell Disease (lecture recording)
- A. Adekile – The Spleen in Sickle Cell Disease: Influence of Malaria (lecture recording)
- R. Kesse-Adu – Chronic Complications in sickle cell and their management in adult patients (lecture recording)
- C. Lederer – Introduction to Gene & Cell Therapy for Haemoglobinopathies (lecture recording)
- W. Atoyebi – SCD and pathology (lecture recording part 1, part 2)
- J. Elion – SCD and pathology: genetics of haemoglobinopathies (lecture recording)
- A. Kwabena-Asubonteng – Demonstration of the Ghana newborn screening application (lecture recording)
- A. Adam – Demonstration of Hb-Electrophoresis by Isoelectric focusing (IEF) method (IEF video demonstration)
- J. Elion – IEF vs HPLC (lecture recording)
- Case Studies: Haemoglobinopathies Including Newborn Screening – The Challenges and Discrepancies (Session 1 – Session 2)
Counselling in Sickle Cell Disease
Epidemiology of Sickle Cell Disease
Implementation science for implementation of New Born Screening
- L. Hsu – How can implementation science frameworks help newborn screening in african settings (lectures part 1, part 2, part 3 – lectures recordings part 1, part 2, part 3)
- B. Ojo – Community stakeholder engagement (lecture recording)
- L. Gwani – Policy maker engagement (Nigeria) – (lecture recording)
- S. Quirk – Stakeholder engagement (lecture recording)
Research Training in SCD
- Content stored online, has keywords or clustered in webpages to allow search for topics and for audiences
- PDF text https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/materials/factsheets.html https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/healthyliving.html https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/traits.html
- Pictures and infographics
- Videos? Podcasts?
- PowerPoint presentations
- Clinical guidelines and Model programs for specific clinical scenarios – these can be presented in different ways but I really like the HIV/AIDS Bureau examples.
- Clinician training video https://sickleemergency.duke.edu/educational-resources/videos
- Download modules of materials