EDUCATION & TRAINING
Other Educational Resources
The Cribsiders - Sickle Cell Disease in Adolescence: Growing Pains
Learn all about Sickle Cell Disease and the pediatric to adult transition in care from Dr. Lydia Pecker, a sickle cell doctor for young adults practicing in Baltimore, Maryland. In this episode the following topics are covered: diagnosing sickle cell, detecting and managing complications, and the major treatments, including new drugs and bone marrow transplants. Discover it here.
Cheat Codes: a Sickle Cell Podcast
Cheat Codes: A Sickle Cell Podcast, is led by expert hosts Dr. Ahmar Zaidi and Dr. Mike Callaghan. Cheat Codes also features interviews with leading experts, moments from major conferences, and contributions from people living with sickle cell. ARISE Project Scientific Coordinator Baba Inusa contributed to episode 2 called Hydroxyurea, Hemoglobin, and Dr. Baba Inusa from ASCAT 2019
Sickle Cell Disease: a battle for equality, justice and respect
What led a 46 year old Haitian artist to being kicked out of the hospital in the dead of winter? What led him to joblessness and homelessness? Part of the answer was in his blood…but most of the answer is us. Watch the talk held at at TEDxDetroit here.
How this disease changes the shape of your cells - Amber Yates
What shape are your cells? You might not spend a lot of time thinking about the bodies of these building blocks, but microscopically, small variations can have huge consequences. And while some adaptations change these shapes for the better, others can spark debilitating complications. Amber M. Yates dives into the science of the malignant sickle-cell mutation. Discover it here.
UK Forum on Haemoglobin Disorders
Here you can consult and download the useful material made available by the UK Forum on Haemoglobin Disorder.
LSHTM short courses
Short courses provide opportunities to study specialised topics in a broad range of health and global health fields. LSHTM, one of the ARISE consortium partners, provides with useful and interesting short courses. More detailed information on the topics addressed by each course and the registration procedure here.
Vision of Hope: Integration of Palliative Care in Chronic Pediatric Disease
A training curriculum developed by the Johns Hopkins Berman Institute of Bioethics aimed to integrate the principles of paediatric palliative care into the care of individuals living with Sickle Cell Disease (discover more here).
Sickle Cell Disease - Duke University
Some videos on key aspects of Sickle Cell Disease management developed by Duke University (watch them here).
American Society of Hematology (ASH) – Sickle Cell Disease Course
The Sickle Cell Disease Course developed within the ASH Benign Hematology Curriculum (BHC) is a series of free, web-based videos designed to supplement education in Sickle Cell Disease for fellows (learn more here).
Rethink Sickle Cell Disease
Rethink Sickle Cell Disease publishes educational contents on Sickle Cell Disease Pathophysiology, vaso-occlusive crises in Sickle Cell Disease and their clinical and societal impact
South Thames Sickle Cell & Thalassaemia Network (STSTN)
STSTN is a haemoglobinopathy collaboration led by healthcare professionals, including consultants, nurses, psychologists and others, across different members in UK. It includes relevant information for Sickle Cell Disease patients
2019-2020 ASH Clinical Practice Guidelines on SCD
The American Society of Hematology (ASH) initiated an effort to develop clinical practice guidelines on Sickle Cell Disease (SCD) to identify best practices for the management of acute and chronic complications of SCD and ways to improve the quality of care for patients.
It is essential to provide updated treatment guidelines that reflect the newest evidence about the disease, ensuring the medical community can better treat SCD and people with SCD can make the best decisions for their care.
Here following the available guidelines:
- American Society of Hematology 2019 guidelines for sickle cell disease: cardiopulmonary and kidney disease
- American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: transfusion support
- American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of cerebrovascular disease in children and adults
- American Society of Hematology 2020 guidelines for sickle cell disease: management of acute and chronic pain
You can discover more in the following infographics:
- Content stored online, has keywords or clustered in webpages to allow search for topics and for audiences
- PDF text https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/materials/factsheets.html https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/healthyliving.html https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell/traits.html
- Pictures and infographics
- Videos? Podcasts?
- PowerPoint presentations
- Clinical guidelines and Model programs for specific clinical scenarios – these can be presented in different ways but I really like the HIV/AIDS Bureau examples.
- Clinician training video https://sickleemergency.duke.edu/educational-resources/videos
- Download modules of materials